Regardless of the number of weddings, you have attended, or how many ugly bridesmaids dresses you have worn, there are certain things you just never find out until it is your big day.
Talk to anyone who has been married before, and they will tell you that your wedding day goes back in a flash. You will be so busy chatting with the family and dancing with your friends that before you know it, you will be cutting the cake and saying your goodbyes. You may already know that an emergency kit always comes in handy, that it is almost impossible to go to the loo in your wedding dress, and always, always pack stain remover. But aside from all of the general logistics, there are so many intangible, special moments that make up the big day itself. Below are some truths about the big day that is not always mentioned.
- The most nerve-racking part is right before the ceremony
Those few minutes that feel like hours right before you walk down the aisle will feel like the most nerve-racking few minutes of your life. And with good reason, you are about to make a huge life-altering decision in front of all of the people you love and care about the most. Just keep in mind that your partner is patiently waiting for you at the end of all of this and you are most probably going to party the night away and needless to say, the reason you said yes in the first place.
- The ceremony is the best part of it all
There is just something truly special about the actual ceremony. The vows, the traditions, and all the emotional friends and family members help to make it one of the most special moments of your entire life. If we had to give you some advice, Take it all in and drink it up. You will want each and every memory to last forever.
- You are most probably going to cry
This one is not really that much of a secret, as crying on the big day is basically inevitable. And since you are already aware that there will be waterworks, the best thing to do is to make sure that you are prepared for them. Keep the tissues, handy, and make sure the bride is wearing waterproof everything, and keep some lipstick and mascara close by for touch-ups.
- Your face is going to hurt from all the smiling
The hundreds of photos aside, you are going to be smiling all day as it is going to be the most amazing day of your life. You are getting married to your best friend! Between finally making your union “official” and dancing the night away with all of your closest friends and family members, you will literally have no reason to frown.
- You will be amazed by the level of love and support you receive
All of your loved ones will show up for a reason, and that reason is you! And your soon to be spouse will get everyone’s attention. You might even struggle to eat dinner, as there will be so many pictures to take and so many friends and family members to talk to. Between the side punches from your work friends and the pinches on the cheek from your grandma, you will be overcome by endless love and support.
- You may want a little alone time
In fact, you might become a little overwhelmed with emotions that you may need to take a few moments for yourself or just for the two of you. Some of the most special moment and memories are the very few that you get to spend alone with your spouse, preparing for what is about to come and just taking it all in.
- You are going to be exhausted
Let’s just face it, you are most probably not going to get much sleep the night before the big day, you will be thinking about a tiff you had with your mom if the seating chart will work out or just the overall excitement of the day to come, but you will be lacking a good night’s rest. Under-eye concealer is a must to have close by.
- Unfortunately, not everything is going to go as planned
In most cases, there is bound to be something that goes wrong on the day. It could be something minor or it could be huge, but the best advice we could give a bride is to push through it and make the best out of any situation. After all, it is not so much about the day being perfect as it is about you and your spouse making your commitment to one another.
- The most magical moment will pop up when you least expect it to
Very often, the most magical time of your day, or weekend, is when you do not expect it at all. A hug from your dad, a stolen moment with your new spouse, or an impromptu speech from your best friend from high school could end up being the moment you remember the best.
- You will feel different
Even if you and your soon-to-be spouse have been living together for years, once you are legally married, you will get that sense of it actually being official. It could be a noticeable change or just a sight shirt, but it will feel like the real thing because now it is!
Need some reasons to help convince your future spouse that you need a big wedding? Well here they are
- Big families that are impossible to cut: Maybe your spouse is close to all of their cousins or you have five siblings. Sometimes you simply cannot cut big families from the guest list. Embrace this! Invite all of your close and extended family members for a day and memories that you all can cherish forever. By including everyone in your big day, you will be guarding against any hurt feelings, or anyone feeling left out.
- You and your spouse have been together for a while: If you and your spouse have been dating since you were 16, or you have had a long engagement, having a big wedding could be the way to go. Over a long courtship or engagement, many friends and family members have been there, supported you, and invested in your relationship. An invitation to your wedding will be a nice gesture in order to honour their support and encouragement over the years, even if this results in a huge guest list.
- If you enjoy dancing: If you love to break it down on the dance floor and get the party started, then you most probably thrive in an energetic environment with people everywhere. Well then, you should go for it, get the DJ and invite all of your friends and family members to enjoy a party they will never forget with you.
- If you enjoy being the host/hostess: Do you enjoy welcoming and greeting people and catching up with your old friends? Are you good at making small talk? Put all of your social skills to work at a big wedding, where you can manage playing host/hostess to a room full of guests. Not everyone enjoys being the centre of attention and making the crowd feel welcome, so if this is your area of expertise, then a big wedding is right up your alley.
- If it works with your budget: When it comes to money matters, it is a personal topic, but budget is definitely going to be a factor you need to consider if you are planning a big wedding. Accommodation a big guest list is going to add up, from wedding favours to plated meals and everything in between, there are quite a few costs involved with a large crowd.
Is all of this sounding familiar? Having a big wedding could be the best choice you can make. But what matters most is the wedding size that most suits you and your spouse to be.
Below are some reasons to get married before your actual wedding day
Some people have been dreaming about their perfect wedding day since they were 10. Others just see the wedding day as a civil recognition of the marriage contract and want to get it over and done with as soon as possible. But there are also those who fall in the middle of these two. These people do not want to spend an arm and a leg on the wedding but they also have a vision of their white dress and having all of their friends and family come together to celebrate the marriage.
The less you stress, the less other people have to deal with a “bridezilla”
If you have said your vows beforehand and had your day alone with your spouse to celebrate your marriage, so much less hinges on the actual wedding day. All of a sudden, things do not have to be absolutely picture perfect. Your actual wedding day will just be a relaxed day to party and enjoy the company of your loved ones.
Planning the perfect wedding day can be extremely stressful, and it can lead to many sleepless nights and panic attacks. But if you remove all of the expectations, it becomes a day of enjoyment and celebration.
Your friends will probably be happier too. If the bride is calm and relaxed during the whole wedding planning process, chances are, everyone else will be calm and relaxed too. Your bridesmaids all love you (we hope), so they are not going to tell you that you are busy driving them up the wall with dress requirements, detail-filled emails and so on.
It may clear your prospective to take the focus off marriage for the wedding day, and this will allow you to focus on throwing a shindig that everyone can enjoy with you. As for the bridesmaids, you will find that you are no longer freaking out that their dresses are not the exact same shade as each other.
Regardless of whether you go big or small on your wedding day, it will always be a day you will never forget. Here are a few tips to try in order to enjoy your special day:
- Wake up refreshed. Even though it is almost impossible to fall asleep the night before the big day, try to go to bed at a reasonable hour and stay hydrated.
- Have a breakfast that is high in complex carbs and protein. This type of meal will take some time to break down in your body and it will help to keep you going.
- Ensure that you have ample time to get ready. You want your wedding day to be relaxed and you will want to be able to have a good time with your bridesmaids while getting ready, and not stress over the fact that there are only 15 minutes left and there are still 3 bridesmaids without make-up on.
- If you bought new shoes to wear on the wedding day, make sure that you wear them in before the big day. There is nothing worse than trying to enjoy your wedding day but your feet are in agony.
- Always remember to pack a wedding day survival kit. The typical wedding day survival kit includes a first aid kit, tampons, stain remover, a pen, headache tablets and anything else that might help you fix a minor emergency.
At Cinderella’s Closet, we offer a wide range of beautiful wedding gowns, bridesmaid dresses, flower girl dresses and more. For more information, visit our website on www.cinderellascloset.co.za.